Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lent Day 7 *Strength*

Today's thought for Lent is Strength. According to the Twelve Powers of Man by Charles Fillmore, Strength is the power to resist temptation, it is to have steadfastness and stability in Spirit. In this book, Papa Fillmore also references that Man exists in consciousness as a multitude of men. Meaning that we are many people in our mind. We have the ability to be nice or cruel, happy or sad, confident or self-conscious, well or sick.

The power of Strength is that power within us to choose a consciousness of Love in our lives. It is the ability to resist the temptation to say a snide remark, or defend one's ego, or entertain the thought of lack. We have the power in each day, hour, moment to use Strength to overcome any obstacle. For anything we see as an obstacle only seems that way because of our perspective.
Now for me, this is not easy. I am an emotional being. I tend to get caught up in the moment and feel the feelings of anger, disappointment, impatience. In watching the movie "The Secret" I discovered something. I found that my emotions were an internal guidance system. If I was feeling good, happy, excited, loving then I felt great and in alignment with my Highest Self, with my God and with the Universe. However, if I felt yucky, irritated, or controlling I knew that I was entertaining thoughts that were not in alignment with the Universe.

All I have to do is be conscious of my feeling and realize that as soon as I feel anything other than love, I am pulling away from my Good. So how do I do this, when my buttons are being pushed, and my feelings are being hurt? Well I have a list of things that make me happy and I use that list to shift my thoughts when I catch myself feeling bad. Things on my list include my children, my husband, being a minister, a beautiful day at the park. So whenever I feel tempted to think, speak, or do anything that doesn't feel good, I instantly pull one of these thoughts out and envelop myself in these good feelings. It is Strength that allows me to do this, and I am grateful!

I affirm "The joy of the Lord is a well-spring within me, and I am established in Divine Strength." -Charles Fillmore in Keep a True Lent

Bible Reading: Matthew 4:1-11

No comments: