Monday, February 26, 2007

*The Altar*

Today's message was about the Altar, or the place within each of us that we use to go to speak with God. How do we each connect with the divine within? Some of us use meditation; some of us do something that we love, something that ignites passion within us. Whatever we do, in that moment we feel complete bliss, joy and happiness. There is no stress at the Altar; there is no judgment, no expectations. Just unconditional love and guidance. The more I think about it I don't know why I don't spend more time there :)

I think this is an interesting point. If I am living a life that brings me bliss and ignites my passion, I feel that puts me in line with my highest Self, with my Divine Inheritance. But I turn away from this Altar every time I indulge a feeling of fear, anger, or disappointment. I can tell when this happens because my feelings of bliss and joy instantly disappear as if I turned my back on it.

The bible reading is very interesting today. Matthew 5:21-26.

It reminds me of the difference between the Old Testament and the new. In the Old Testament there is a focus on physical sin, like murder, or adultery. But Jesus calls us to be mindful of the thought, not just the action. That it is just as much a disservice to your highest good to simply "think" anger towards someone, or "think" about committing an act that would betray and hurt the ones you love. Thoughts start the action. So to be able to enter the Altar, not only must your actions be pure, but more importantly, your thoughts must be pure as well.

No comments: